miércoles, 7 de septiembre de 2011

Fabio Luisi Replaces James Levine for Fall Performances at the Metropolitan Opera

Music Director James Levine suffered a fall last week while on vacation, damaging one of his vertebrae, an injury that required surgery. Although the operation was a success, Maestro Levine has been forced to cancel his fall Met performances, including new productions of Don Giovanni and Siegfried, while he recuperates. Maestro Fabio Luisi will conduct the premieres of those productions as well as other performances, while assuming a new role at the Met: Principal Conductor. He’ll also lead a MET Orchestra concert at Carnegie Hall on October 16. “While Jim’s latest setback is hugely disappointing for all of us, he joins me in welcoming Fabio’s larger role,” said General Manager Peter Gelb. “I am very pleased that Fabio was able to rearrange his fall schedule, and I appreciate the understanding of those companies with whom he was scheduled to conduct.” In order to replace Levine, Luisi had to cancel scheduled performances with the Rome Opera, the Genoa Opera, the Vienna Symphony, and the San Francisco Symphony. “I am honored to have been asked to take on these additional responsibilities, but my thoughts are also with Maestro Levine,” said Luisi. The Italian maestro had been the Met’s Principal Guest Conductor since 2010 until his new appointment, which is effective immediately. Maestro Levine, who celebrated his 40th anniversary at the Met last season, remains the company’s Music Director. He hopes to be recovered in time to lead the premiere of the new production of Götterdämmerung on January 27 and later performances in the winter and spring. Don Giovanni opens October 13. Siegfried opens October 27.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario